Surfing in Hawaii is a bucket list item for many people around the world. And to complete that dream, finding the right surf shop is key to having an amazing surfing experience. Hawaii is home to some of the world's best surf shops that offer everything from surfboard rentals to surf lessons and gear. In this blog post, we'll take a look at some of the best surf shops in Hawaii that are perfect for visitors. To help you find the best surf shops for your needs, we've organized our recommendations into categories based on the type of gear or experience you're looking for.
Best Surf Shops For Surf Lessons
- Maui Wave Riders: Maui Wave Riders is a family owned and operated surf school located on Maui. They offer private and group surf lessons for all skill levels, including kids. Many customers praise their experienced instructors and personalized teaching approach. While their Lahaina location is temporarily closed, they are still accepting reservations in Kihei.
- Island Style Surf School: Island Style Surf School is located in Waikiki and offers surf lessons for all skill levels. Their knowledgeable instructors have received glowing reviews for their friendly and patient teaching style.
Best Surf Shops For Apparel
- Hi-Tech Surf Sports: Hi-Tech is a surf shop that has been serving the Maui community for over 30 years and is a go-to spot for surfers looking for high-quality gear and clothing. They carry a variety of brands and products, from surfboards and wetsuits to t-shirts and board shorts. Plus, their knowledgeable staff can help you find exactly what you need to take your surfing to the next level.
- Hawaiian Island Creations: Hawaiian Island Creations (HIC) is a local brand with surf shops in multiple locations across Hawaii. They offer a wide range of surf gear and apparel, including wetsuits, board shorts, and t-shirts. Many customers appreciate their unique designs and high-quality products.
Best Surf Shops for Snorkeling and Other Water Activities
- Snorkel Bob's: Snorkel Bob's is a popular chain of surf shops with multiple locations across Hawaii. In addition to snorkel gear, they offer rentals and tours for other water activities like kayaking and stand-up paddleboarding.
- Boss Frog's: Boss Frog's is popular chain of surf shops with multiple locations across the Hawaiian islands. In addition to snorkel gear, they offer rentals and tours for other water activities like boating and fishing. Customers praise their helpful staff and convenient locations.
Best Surf Shops for Experienced surfers
- Aloha Boardshop: Aloha Boardshop is a surf shop located in Honolulu that caters to experienced surfers. They offer a wide range of high-performance boards and gear, as well as custom board shaping services. If you're on a budget but looking to invest in your own board, they also offer a great selection of used surfboards for sale. As an added bonus they even have free parking in the back of the shop!
- Surf N Sea: Located in Haleiwa on the North shore of Oahu, this surf shop has been around since 1965 and has a reputation for being one of the best surf shops in the state. They carry a wide range of surfboards, including shortboards, longboards, and hybrids, as well as a great selection of wetsuits, fins, and other accessories.
Best Surf Shops According to Locals
- Surf Garage: If you're looking for locally owned surf shops, Surf Garage is a great option located in Kailua, Oahu. They offer a wide range of surf gear, including boards, accessories, and apparel. Many customers appreciate their friendly and knowledgeable staff, as well as their community events.
- Hapa Surf: Hapa Surf is a locally owned surf shop and school located in Hanalei, Kauai. They offer surf lessons, rentals, and tours, as well as a range of surf gear and apparel. Customers praise their experienced instructors and personalized approach to teaching.
About Hawaii Surf Shops
If you're planning a trip to Hawaii and want to visit a surf shop, here's what you can expect:
- A laid-back atmosphere: Hawaii is known for its laid-back vibe, and this extends to the surf shops. You'll find that the staff are friendly and welcoming, and the atmosphere is relaxed and casual.
- A wide range of products: Surf shops in Hawaii cater to surfers of all levels, from beginners to experts. You'll find a wide range of products, including surfboards, wetsuits, rash guards, board shorts, sunglasses, hats, and more. Many shops also offer rentals, so you can try out different boards and gear before you buy.
- Local brands and designs: Hawaii has a rich surf culture, and many of the surf shops feature local brands and designs. You'll find apparel and accessories that showcase the Hawaiian flag, hibiscus flowers, and other symbols of the islands. Some shops also sell surfboards and gear that are made in Hawaii, so you can take home a piece of the local surf culture.
- Expert advice: The staff at Hawaii surf shops are often experienced surfers themselves, and they can offer expert advice on everything from board selection to surf conditions. They can also provide tips on local surf spots, so you can make the most of your time in the water.
- Surf lessons and tours: If you're a beginner or just want to improve your surfing skills, many Hawaii surf shops offer lessons and tours. These can be a great way to get started with surfing or to explore some of the best surf spots in Hawaii. Some shops also offer stand-up paddleboard (SUP) lessons and rentals, so you can try something new.
No matter what type of gear or experience you're looking for, Hawaii has plenty of surf shops to choose from. Whether you're a beginner looking for lessons, an experienced surfer in need of new gear, or just interested in the surf lifestyle - there's a surf shop that can meet your needs. With our guide to the best surf shops in Hawaii, you'll be ready to catch some waves and make some memories on your next trip to paradise! You might even be inspired to start a Hawaii art collection with surf art or surfboard art.
Or, if you're just dreaming of escaping to the Aloha state, check out our curated collection of surf inspired artwork by local Hawaii artists!